Some herbal remedies affect your breast milk supply either increasing breast milk production or decreasing breast milk production. Herbal remedies may seem a safe alternative to other types of medications. Keep in mind that many herbs are potent pharmacological substances. Many modern medicines have their roots in the herbal medicine and folk remedies of yesterday. The FDA does not check herbal remedies for safety or accuracy of the product labels.
A short checklist to go over if you decide to take herbal remedies while you breastfeed:
- Check with your lactation consultant
- Pick a brand that lists all ingredients (the shorter the list the better)
- stick with a reputable brand
- check the expiration date
- Remember that tinctures and homeopathic remedies contain a high percentage of alcohol.